Hashtags are any words in the social media space where the (#) sign is used, (for example #Design, #WebDesign, #SEO). By using a hashtag, this will help people who are interested in that subject matter finds your content. This is a great way for you to know and track topics and find out who is talking about the subject matter. Think of it as a keyword that is searchable and can be found in that particular topic, group or conversation.
As social media becomes more and more the primary ways of communicating, this is very important to know. Those that are currently using hashtags know the benefits and understand the significance of using hashtags as more and more will start using searches with the hashtag in front of search subjects or topics. The search gives you a more relevant result and an efficient way of organizing information.
Hashtags are being universally used by those who want their conversation to be heard, known, and searched by anyone. By using hashtags, this benefits the creator of having more relevant users and as a marketer this is a powerful tool to have and will also increase your reputation and authority in your subject matter.
Not everyone is using hashtags, however, marketers should be using this on all their communication as it provides a powerful tool in viral marketing which can be shared and re-posted. Hashtags can be used through many different social media networks such as Twitter, Google Plus, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and more.
- Using hashtags on your entire social media network will increase your online lead generations and convert them into real customers specifically with introduction to new products and services, marketing campaigns, upcoming events, sweepstakes, promotions.
- discover topics of interest and information about a particular product, services, groups or conversation.
- create a stronger brand and online reputation
- higher search engine ranking
- a more targeted and relevant audience
- users can find groups or communities discussing the same topic
- great use of research in monitoring a particular topic
- the content drives and builds the community
Now that you have a better understanding of hashtags, do not just go and add the pound sign on all the words you want to create or group a topic around. It’s easy to overuse hashtags, however you should limit its use to two hashtags per posting. Be aware also not to string too many words together, simple is better, stringing too many words together, people may not actually get what you are trying to communicate. Here is a rule you should stick by when creating hashtags, focus on one keyword, two is fine, three is borderline and any more than that and you are spamming.
Hope you enjoyed this article.